Why JCAN? Why we Jews? Why you?
Dealing with the human existential crisis of global climate change is our ultimate task of Tikkun Olam, repairing of the world, for which we are all responsible. If we cannot slow climate change, limit its eventual scope, and preserve the livability of this Earth for generations to come, then nothing else matters.
Jewish Climate Action Network seeks to:
- Sound out an urgent and visionary Jewish voice on the crisis of climate change.
- Build relationships with environmental and justice leaders in Jewish and other communal organizations.
- Inspire and mobilize Jewish communities to take leadership and participate in bold climate campaigns
- Develop and provide informational resources to allies working on climate change action
JCAN’S WORK INCLUDES:
- Education: Holding educational conferences, workshops, and talks on issues relating to climate change, including greening our synagogues, lifestyles, and homes.
- Activism: Engaging in local, national, and global campaigns such as #LightforLima and the People's Climate Marches, and advocating for laws, regulation, and funding that combat climate change and related environmental harms.
- Organizing: Coordinating efforts to reduce energy use in Jewish institutions, working with green teams, and encouraging Jewish institutions to move their investments from environmentally destructive companies to portfolios that have a positive impact on people and the environment.